With the remarkable innovations in glaucoma treatment techniques over the past few years, most glaucoma patients can take advantage of a whole new world of methods for managing their condition. A great deal of these approaches is considered MIGS, or microinvasive glaucoma surgery.
At Wang Vision Institute, we are pleased to offer a diverse range of MIGS treatments, as well as various other innovative laser therapies for our Nashville, TN patients. MIGS procedures are done with microscopic surgical incisions and equipment to ease intraocular pressure to stop or delay more damage to the optical nerve. In addition, MIGS can be advantageous at most stages of glaucoma. These treatments typically have fewer post-surgery complications, and most ophthalmologists deem them safer and more effective than traditional glaucoma surgery. Call our Nashville, TN practice to schedule your MIGS assessment with our highly qualified team of world renown ophthalmologists. Our own eye surgeon, Dr. Josh Frenkel, received specialized training in minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries from the top training program in the country. We look forward to helping you improve your total eye health and vision.
Nobody but an experienced ophthalmologist can ascertain if an individual is an ideal candidate for MIGS or laser therapy. Each of the many types of glaucoma can occur with a range of stages of severity, which means every patient should have a unique treatment plan to manage his or her disease. The most ideal patients eligible for MIGS:
- Aren't able to alleviate their internal eye pressure with eye drops
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Aren't considered at high risk for severe progression
- Have both glaucoma and cataracts
- Are suffering from mild to moderate glaucoma
"I have long been a fan of Dr. Wang, from whom I've received excellent care over the years. Recently I was treated by Dr. Zimmerman for a nonsurgical problem. He's terrific! He listened and then did a careful and thorough examination. He prescribed the perfect combination of medications and resolved a very troubling issue. Thanks for the great job Dr. Zimmerman!"- T.N. / Google / Nov 27, 2020
"I am 3 days post SMILE procedure by Dr. Frenkel and could not be more satisfied with my results thus far! Dr. Frenkel and his staff were so kind, encouraging, and verbally walked me through each step during my procedure so I knew exactly what I would feel regarding pressure. During my follow up today, Dr. Frenkel took the time to make sure any questions or concerns were answered and addressed in full. He truly has a passion for his patients and it shows in his work. Thank you Dr. Frenkel!!"- E. / Healthgrades / Nov 24, 2020
"5 days ago I had an amazing procedure done to my eyes. It's the latest and greatest for correcting nearsightedness called SMILE. Big thanks from Miranda Smith to Dr. Zimmerman and Dr. Frenkel!!!"- M.C. / Facebook / Nov 24, 2020
"The results of my surgeries were nothing short of a miracle. I had the 3D Forever Young performed on both my right and left eyes and cataracts removed by Dr. Frankel. I highly recommend him to anyone who is considering having these procedures. I owe him a debt of gratitude for restoring my sight. He is professional but personable. Read his credentials and other reviews and you will know why I chose him to perform these procedures. I also have to compliment his entire staff. Thank you all for what I anticipated being a scary experience to one I felt safe and confident about from the beginning. I have never been able to see so good."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Nov 23, 2020
"To start, the front desk staff welcome you with such a warm welcome each time! Dr. Frenkel performed my SMILE procedure. He and his staff were so encouraging throughout the procedure and made me feel completely comfortable and confident after. I feel like Dr. Frenkel and Dr. Johnson are truly passionate about their patients progress and providing 5 star care at baseline. I could not have asked for better results! Thank you Wang Vision Institute."- E.S. / Facebook / Nov 23, 2020
What To Expect
At Wang Vision Institute, our team of extremely knowledgeable ophthalmologists is proud to provide MIGS treatments for our glaucoma patients. As soon as we have decided that a patient is a great candidate for MIGS, we will examine each of his or her most suitable options. Our team specializes in many MIGS techniques, each of which is carried out using the most innovative technology, technique, and equipment:
- XEN Gel Stent: The XEN Gel Stent is a soft, jelly-like device that's inserted into the eyeball to reduce the intraocular pressure (IOP) that causes glaucoma. This implant is crafted to target your condition by using minimally invasive methods that involve fewer complications than traditional glaucoma surgeries.
- iStent Inject: The iStent Inject is the smallest medical-grade implant that has ever been placed into the human eye. Having achieved FDA approval in 2012 as a suitable treatment for glaucoma, this device is a micro-bypass that creates a pathway throughout the eye to help fluid drain out of the eye more effectively, thereby decreasing eye pressure.
- Hydrus Microstent: The Hydrus Microstent is a curved device that allows our ophthalmologists to dilate the Schlemm's canal, widening the space and allowing built-up fluid to reduce. This device was approved by the FDA in 2018 and is ideal for patients with mild to moderate open-angle glaucoma.
- Kahook Dual Blade: This special tool is a tiny, double-bladed instrument that is used to precisely and accurately remove diseased trabecular meshwork (TM) from the eye. This creates access to multiple channels within the eye to allow fluid to drain more easily and reduce optical pressure.
- OMNI™: The OMNI Glaucoma System is one singular device that combines two MIGS treatments in one. This versatile piece was created to address the trabeculocanalicular outflow pathway to lessen the IOP (intraocular pressure) in patients who have open-angle glaucoma.
Most often, MIGS treatments are done in outpatient settings and are finished extremely quickly. The majority of MIGS treatments last fewer than 15 minutes.
Because these procedures are minimally invasive, the recuperation time is quite shorter compared with traditional glaucoma surgery. Almost all patients can return to work and their usual activities within a few days. After the procedure is over, we thoroughly explain every patient's post-procedure instructions for tending to their eyes during the healing process. Further, we require our MIGS patients to return for a series of key follow-up exams at Wang Vision Institute so we can carefully keep an eye on their internal eye pressure during this period.
ADVANCED GLAUCOMA MANAGEMENT
Up until a decade ago, patients who had advanced glaucoma only had one option for treatment. Thankfully, minimally invasive glaucoma surgery and laser surgeries now allow eye surgeons to conduct numerous kinds of treatments to help patients manage their glaucoma. Contact Wang Vision Institute to set up a MIGS evaluation with a highly trained ophthalmologist to more easily manage your intraocular pressure.